One of the most important considerations in developing a K Grant application is to realize that it isn’t a National Research Service Award (NRSA) application. This award mechanism is for postdocs (K99) or junior faculty (K01, K08, K23) members who have already developed strong preliminary data to show feasibility of the approach as well as a conceptual framework for their independent career.
Application Templates for K Grants
- Abstract Template
- Facilities and Resources Template
- Personal Statement Template
- Plan for Responsible Conduct of Research Training
Sample Sections for K Grants
- K01 Candidate Background
- K01 Career Goals
- K01 Research Plan
- K01 Specific Aims
- K01 Training Activities
- 2015 Biosketch Example
Funded K Grants
These are examples of successfully funded K Grant applications and their related summary statements. We appreciate the applicants’ willingness to share these applications in an effort to help future applicants become successful.
The K01 is a Mentored Research Scientist Development Award. It provides 3–5 years of support for a mentored research training experience in the biomedical, behavioral, or clinical sciences.
- K01 Grant Application with Summary Statement – Sample 1
- K01 Grant Application with Summary Statement – Sample 2
The K08 is a Clinical Investigator Award. It is designed to help medical scientists with demonstrated aptitude develop into independent investigators, or for faculty members to pursue research aspects of categorical areas applicable to the awarding unit, and aid in filling the academic faculty gap in these shortage areas.
- K08 Grant Application and Summary Statement – Sample 1
- K08 Grant Application with Summary Statement – Sample 2
- K08 Grant Application with Summary Statement – Sample 3
The K23 is a Mentored Patient-Oriented Research Career Development Award. It is designed to support the career development of investigators who have made a commitment of focus their research endeavors on patient-oriented research. This mechanism provides support for a 3- to 5-year period of supervised study and research for clinically trained professionals who have the potential to develop into productive, clinical investigators.
- K23 Grant Application and Summary Statement – Sample 1
- K23 Grant Application with Summary Statement – Sample 2
- K23 Grant Application with Summary Statement – Sample 3
The K99 is a Pathway to Independence Award. It provides up to five years of support over two phases. The initial phase provides 1-2 years of mentored support for highly promising, postdoctoral research scientists. Phase two provides up to 3 years of independent support contingent on securing an independent research position. The PI Award is limited to postdoctoral trainees.
- K99 Grant Abstract – Sample 1
- K99 Grant Abstract – Sample 2
- K99 Grant Abstract – Sample 3
- K99 Grant Abstract – Sample 4